Location: North East England
Salary: £45000 - 50000
Sector: Engineering and Manufacturing
Job Type: Permanent
Job Reference: BMC/02/2474 WS
The business is a leading international institution of innovative technology solutions in the Offshore Renewables Energy Sector. The RDI Directorate develops and delivers the most cutting-edge projects, focusing on the new frontiers being pushed by the sector. As the project portfolio grows, RDI team needs to expand its project delivery capabilities to meet this demand. The Research Engineer – Grid and Storage shall help the Electrical Infrastructure team ensuring that the business maintains its position as a focal point for the sector and develops a position as the “go to” organisation for technical support and innovative collaboration.
To support delivery of research and development based activities related to electrical grid and storage, support the development of the R&D and commercial activity in this area.
- Ensure up to date sector knowledge and technical compliance regarding renewables grid integration and storage, including offshore power transmission technologies.
- Provide sound technical support to Senior/Lead Engineers and PMs to successfully deliver projects safely, to schedule, quality and cost in accordance with the partner needs and contract requirements.
- Support initiate concepts and proposals ensuring that technical scope, scheduling and resourcing issues are fully addressed.
- In position to inform Lead/Senior Engineers of the technology and innovation opportunities within the sector and support the developments of strategies and project ideas.
- Ensuring project technical activities are delivered in quality, time and budget in compliance with project management processes and regulatory standards, processes and procedures.
- Maintain an expert up to date knowledge of research activities within the offshore renewables electrical infrastructure, with focus on grid integration and electricity storage.
- Look to work closely with key R&D stakeholders shaping and delivering projects, managing external dependencies and interfaces.
- Comply with policies and procedures in terms of SHEQ, project management, risk and asset management. Maintain a high standard of health & safety awareness through encouraging safe behaviours with colleagues, contractors and other stakeholders.
- Identifying opportunities for improvements on project delivery, resource availability for the RDI project portfolio and the business in general.
- Represent the company at technical forums and conferences.
- Participate proactively in the activities of multi- discipline teams, the teams being a mix of core team members and specialists working through a flexible matrix structure.
The following skills are desirable:
- Degree in Engineering of a relevant discipline (Electrical, Electronics, Control)
- Preferably PhD/EngD in relevant technology area
- Simulation software experience (Matlab, Bladed, PSCAD, PowerFactory, others)
- Programming languages (Python, M, C++)
- Good understanding of technologies for offshore renewables: grid integration and storage, offshore electrical infrastructure, electrical power trains, power networks control and protection, electricity market and standards asset management techniques.
- Experience in the delivery of R&D projects in Academic and/or RTO environment.
- Industrial experience and Professional Accreditation would be a bonus
- Tenacity, persistence and determination to succeed in overcoming obstacles.
- High capacity for change and experience of leading others through change.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and within a highly pressured environment.
- Attention to detail and capability to deliver projects in corporate matrix structures.
- Team player, ambitious but not at any cost
- Interest for technology innovation and willingness to mentor junior technical team
- Proficient in English (oral and written)
- Driving license and car a bonus
- Available to travel in the UK on a regular basis and abroad on a project basis.
- 28 Days Holidays
- 9 Bank Holidays (10 Bank holidays if in Glasgow)
- Annual Discretionary Bonus – up to 10% of salary
- Double Match DC Pension Scheme
- Cashback Healthcare Scheme
- Life Assurance – 4 x annual salary
- Free Parking (Blyth)