Location: North East England
Salary: £ 40,000
Sector: Engineering and Manufacturing
Job Type: Permanent
Job Reference: BMC/04/2586
Our Clients vision is to be a leading international institution in terms of innovative technology solutions in the Offshore Renewables Energy Sector. They develop and deliver the most cutting-edge projects, focussing on the new frontiers being pushed by the sector.
Role Purpose: To support delivery of R&D based activities related to power conversion and drives, support the development of the R&D and commercial activity in this area.
Key Responsibilities –
- Ensuring project technical activities are delivered in quality, time and budget in compliance with the organisation’s project management processes and regulatory standards, processes and procedures.
- Maintain an expert up to date knowledge of research activities within the offshore renewable electrical infrastructure with focus on power conversion and drives.
- Look to work closely with key R&D stakeholders shaping and delivering projects, managing external dependencies and interfaces.
- Comply with the organisation’s policies and procedures in terms of SHEQ, project management, risk and asset management.
- Maintain a high standard of health & safety awareness through encouraging safe behaviours with colleagues, contractors and other stakeholders.
- Identifying opportunities for improvements on project delivery, resource availability for the RDI project portfolio and the business is general.
- Represent the company at the technical forums and conferences.
- Participate proactively in the activities of multi- discipline teams, the teams being a mix of core team members and specialists working through a flexible matrix structure.
The following skills are essential:
- Preferably PhD/EngD in relevant technology area
- Good understanding of AC-DC (inverter/rectifier) DC-DC conversion topologies, pulse-width modulation, power semiconductor (IGBT/MOSFET module) basics
- Understanding of technologies for wind turbine is a bonus, regarding drive train and power train, reliability analysis, grid connection, international standards and grid codes
- Numerical analysis of measurement results and power module characteristics based on datasheet
- Power loss calculation of power modules, passive components and cooling system inside power converters
- Experience of condition monitoring, diagnostics and prognostics in the area of power converters
- Simulation software experience with Matlab/Simulink, PSCAD, etc.
- Programming languages (C/C++, Python, etc.)
- Team player
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and within a highly pressured environment
- Attention to detail and capability to deliver projects in corporate matrix structures
- Available to travel in the UK on a regular basis and abroad on a project basis