Salary: £38000 - 45000
Sector: Engineering and Manufacturing
Job Type: Permanent
Job Reference: BMC/06/2678 SG
Our Clients vision is to be a leading international institution in terms of innovative technology solutions in the Offshore Renewables Energy Sector. They develop and deliver the most cutting-edge projects, focussing on the new frontiers being pushed by the sector.
Role Purpose –
The Research and Disruptive Innovation (RDI) team lead the organisation’s search for future technology. Carrying out foresighting, roadmapping and thought leadership, the RDI team identify cross-sector solutions and carry out research, development and demonstration to de-risk new technologies. There is a strong focus on enabling high growth potential SMEs to enter the sector through technology assessment, identification of funding (public and private), test services and growth through commercialisation of new products and services
Through MEECE, the organisation will be supporting Welsh companies by helping to develop, demonstrate, verify and validate new technologies. The Research Engineer, Mechanical post will support the MEECE team to deliver innovation projects, through activities such as the design, specification and construction of small prototypes of components, subassemblies and full products for the marine energy sector, and the design and implementation of testing programmes to verify and validate these components and subassemblies.
Key Responsibilities –
- Support and promote Health & Safety, Environment & Quality as core business principles within an OHSAS 18001, ISO14001, ISO9001, ISO17025 environment.
- Maintain currency of knowledge of latest renewable and other relevant technologies, standards, engineering good practice and the application of these in a research and commercial environment.
- Improve processes and systems and proactively create them where they are needed and do not exist to ensure all the organisation’s engineering activities (research and commercial) operate in line with, or above, industry good practice.
- Develop innovative commercial and research projects in line with the organisation’s goals and objectives.
- Develop and disseminate engineering knowledge of wind, wave and tidal sectors within the organisation’s and to key external stakeholders.
- Represent the organisation’s at industry forums, demonstrating capability, competency and experience to stakeholders.
- Work with other business functions independently and as part of a multi-functional project team to develop key Knowledge Areas.
- Provide input to financial models, to ensure understanding of levers for reducing LCOE
- Fulfil role of representative for engineering activities within a multi-functional project team to develop and deliver projects, programmes, testing and testing facility development and associated deliverables
- Provide specialist technical support as necessary to the commercial and research activities including, but not limited to, engineering design, tender preparation/evaluation, budget preparation/review and customer and supplier interface.
- Ensure all MEECE projects, programmes and tests are developed and delivered in line with agreed project plans and the organisation’s processes and procedures.
- Where appropriate, populate and maintain design and project records relating to engineering activities and project work in accordance with the organisation’s processes and procedures.
- Where appropriate, review team member reporting, design, specification, drawing, results or other work within areas of competency and in accordance with the organisation’s processes and procedures.
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required from time to time to deliver the organisation’s objectives.
The following skills are essential:
- Educated to at least degree level in mechanical engineering or a relevant discipline.
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent.
- Sound knowledge of mechanical engineering in a marine environment.
- Motivated and strong team player – working individually, within and across multi-functional project teams.
- Knowledge of and the application of good practice engineering design procedures and tools.
- Familiarity with advanced specialist engineering software in an inter-disciplinary project setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good understanding of H&S legislation applicable to offshore operations.
- Experience of working in OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001, ISO 9001, ISO 17025 environments.