Salary: £55000 - 60000 per annum
Sector: Engineering and Manufacturing
Job Type: Permanent
Job Reference: BMC/04/2586 NE GLS
Our Clients vision is to be a leading international institution in terms of innovative technology solutions in the Offshore Renewables Energy Sector. They develop and deliver the most cutting-edge projects, focussing on the new frontiers being pushed by the sector. The Lead Research Engineer – Electrical Infrastructure shall ensure that the business maintains its position as a focal point for the sector and develops a position as the “go to” organisation for research, technical support and innovative collaboration.
- Develop R&D strategy and an R&D programme for EI research area (powertrain, T&D, energy storage, etc.)
- Initiate and lead projects relating to the development of innovative solutions for the design, develop and testing of electrical components and sub-systems for offshore wind and marine renewable energy systems
- Secure external research funding from both industry and public funders to increase our investment in the knowledge area. Ensuring project technical activities are delivered in quality, time and budget in compliance with project management processes and regulatory standards, processes and procedures.
- Manage and lead a team of research engineers
- Articulate our clients offering in the area of EI design and tests – benefits and savings to sponsors, developers, finance and insurance parties alike. This also involves discussing client requirements and implementing those ideas.
- Contribute to the formulation and technical leadership of R&D projects
- Ensure that effective networks, relationships and communications with key Universities, research establishments and industry are created and maintained
- Ensure the technical and scientific quality of the deliverables
- Engage with customers and support commercial and business development activities related to EI
- Represent the company at technical forums and conferences
- Be positioned to inform the business the technology and innovation opportunities within the sector and to be able to develop strategies and plans to execute the most effective deployment of resources.
The following skills are essential:
- Doctorate research experience or similar industrial design/R&D experience in relevant technical discipline (i.e. electrical grid, energy storage, and powertrain)
- Experience in leading or managing technical team, to deliver projects in corporate matrix structures
- Experience in R&D proposal/business development
- Experience in commercial business development is a bonus
- Experience in product design and development is desirable
- Experience in industry engineering design, design review/due diligence is desirable
- Experience with technical simulation software (e.g. Matlab, Bladed, PSCAD, PowerFactory, others)
- Good understanding in more than one of the following areas for offshore renewables: grid integration and energy storage, electrical powertrains, power networks control and protection, electricity market and standards asset management techniques
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and within a highly pressured environment.
- Available to travel in the UK on a regular basis and abroad on a project basis
- Professional Chartered Engineer status is desirable